Effective long tail keyword strategies is as simple as finding the words people actually use when searching the internet. One thing you should know is this, the long tail keyword can truly create success as we will see.
Are you trying to nail one word, maybe two words? Try 3 or more, it just might be what the content marketer prescribed. Longer phrases pay off in higher click thru’s and, this is a fact, in conversion rates as well.
Here we will go over why you should be trying to nail the long tail keyword or, keyword phrase. And I am telling you right now, please pay attention, it will pay off in the long run of your presence and brand online.
Is The Long Tail A Long Stretch For Success Online?
Below is bullet point that will show you the real facts collected form SearchEngineWatch.Com and how profitable certain lengths of keywords and phrases actually were over a period of time.
- 0-5 character keywords are, more often than not, too short for advertisers to derive any meaningful intent. As such, they don’t create meaningful impressions, clicks, or conversions for most advertisers.
- 6-10 character keywords generate a high number of impressions. They don’t, however, generate a proportional number of clicks and conversions. Consumers are entering queries of this length; however, they still aren’t far enough along in the purchase consideration funnel to actually click and convert on paid search ads.
- Nearly 60 percent of all impressions, clicks, and impressions occur with 11-20 character keywords. Including 21-25 character keywords brings us to 80 percent of call conversions. As such, 11-25 character keywords definitely comprise the “head.”
- While 26-40 character keywords generate significantly fewer impressions, they are much more efficient than head keywords. Specifically, 11-20 character keywords represented 62 percent of clicks and 62 percent of conversions (a 1-to-1 relationship); whereas, 26-35 character keywords represented 6 percent of clicks and 10 percent of conversions – a 3-to-5 relationship. In other words, the long tail keywords were – ballpark – about 66 percent more profitable than the head keywords (ignoring bids), supporting the notion that long tail keywords are more profitable than head keywords.
- The impression, click and conversion volume with +40 character keywords is minimal. Efficiency on these keywords is very low as well. As such, SEMs should probably not spend time generating/managing keywords with greater than 40 characters.
Now remember, these are “characters” not separate words, 16 characters in length including spaces.
There is an old saying within the content marketing; “Use head keywords to generate volume and long tail keywords to generate profit.” This is completely true.
Keywords in the “head” are keywords that are meant to help you rank better. Long tail keywords are meant to answer a problem, give more information and lead the searcher to purchase that answer from you.
Finding The Words People Use…
Finding the words or phrases people are actually using is simple…Google Keyword Tool, Yahoo Answers and Google Trends. Each of these perfectly good tools are FREE.
Within Google Keyword Tool you will find a “phrase match” tab to the left, use that, it will give you the phrases most often used for a particular search under a particular set of keywords.
Remember this however, GKT is not completely accurate, this is based on Pay Per Click searches, not completely organic searches. This means there will be about a 10-20% discrepancy on the actual volume of traffic.
Google Trends is my favorite. You will love this valuable little spot for digging out good keywords. Here you simply search the word or phrase, but hold on, look down in the right hand corner after you hit search.
This is where you will see BREAKOUT. Breakout is great for seeing what is trending right now and, it actually lists these in small keyword phrases.
Yahoo Answers, I am sure you probably have already been there a few times. Now that you are trying your hand at online marketing you can see the value.
Here I and you learn “how” people are asking for answers. Nothing could be better than seeing exactly how people ask question when searching for answers online.
The Long Tail Is Your Answer
The long tail is the answer we eventually come to. Have you ever noticed when you are searching for a specific answer, product or service the longer you search becomes?
That’s because we find what it is we need through smaller phrases, then find the exact match through longer phrases. That is why the long tail is your answer to success online, it is the final answer to the question being asked.
The simplest strategy for long tail keyword phrases that can be effective is, well, this one above. I have my keyword phrase to the far left and, just for some gusto, a follow up of “finding words people use.”
Makes sense, does it not?
Effective long tail keyword strategies are first finding the words people use. Then, once they are found, mix it up a bit towards the end, make a little compelling copy out of your titles….That is a surefire way for good ranking and, qualified traffic.